This spring, we want you to get inspired by Aveda’s Rare Bloom Spring 2015 limited-edition collection. Rare Bloom perfectly portrays both the creativity and beauty that is found throughout Mother Nature. These inspirations helped create the earth-toned makeup, Bohemian-inspired hair, and beautiful tones of blonde that is the season’s collection.
Braids are a staple when it comes to spring. The look of the Rare Bloom Crown Braid created by Allen Ruiz, Aveda Global Artistic Director of Hair Styling, is a whimsical updo that will compliment every face shape and can easily transition from day to night.
Here’s how to get the look:
1. Prep hair by emulsifying Aveda Control Paste between your hands and stroke evenly over the hair for control and grip.
2. Part hair on a diagonal starting at the right front and ending at the nape at the left back; clip sections loosely in place to keep hair out of the way as you work.
3. Starting on one section, braid hair loosely starting in the front and working toward the nape of the neck. Feed the braid only from the crown, not from the sections nearer the braid. This is what creates the wreath-like shaping.
4. Stop adding to the braid when you reach the nape of the neck. Continue braiding until you reach the ends then secure with an elastic band.
5. Repeat this process on the opposite side.
6. Now you have two lovely braids; to create an ethereal organic texture, take a braid firmly in your hands and gently spread sections, massaging the braids with the fingers to create a loosened look. Emulsify 2 drops of Aveda Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil in hands and finish massaging the braids for a touch of healthy shine; stop when desire shape is achieved.
7. Now loop one braid up and secure with pins; repeat on the other side.
8. Finish with Aveda Air Control for a light hold that preserves the style but still allows for wispy movement.