Makeup is by far one of the best ways to change up your look from time to time, but if you haven’t mastered the basic tricks and techniques behind it, experimenting can be a bit intimidating. Application of makeup is an art that most women learn in their own way over time; however, we’re here to make the learning process more simple, quick and efficient!
There are thousands of makeup tips that exist on internet, so we’ve narrowed it down to what we feel are the 5 most important basics of proper makeup application:
1) Cleanse and Moisturize: The most important step in proper makeup application is to start with a clean and moisturized face. You want your makeup to glide over your skin so that it doesn’t appear patchy because of rough spots on the surface of your skin. Start by cleansing your skin with a face wash appropriate for your skin type. We love Aveda All Sensitive Cleanser, our most gentle cleanser formulated specially for sensitive skin. Next, apply your moisturizer. Finally, hydrate your lips with Aveda Lip Saver to create a smooth canvas for your lipstick.
2) Conceal Blemishes: Unfortunately, most women have pesky blemishes that should be concealed before applying foundation. To identify the dark spots on your skin that need coverage, bend your chin inwards a bit and look straight into the mirror. Once most of the dark spots are exposed to your eyes, start applying Aveda Inner Light Concealer with your fingertips. Put a few dots along the under eye circle and at the tip of the closure of your eye. Cover any spots on cheeks, forehead and around the nose. Now, tilt your chin outwards to see if you have any dark spots along the jaw line and under the chin. When you finish applying dots of concealer, blend them with a sponge.
3) Even Out Your Complexion: Select a foundation that’s most similar to your skin type. Use a sponge or flat foundation brush and begin applying Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisturizer. Do not forget to cover your ears, hair line, upper lips and neck.
4) Brighten Up Your Eyes: This will be the trickiest step of your makeup application. Before starting to apply shadow, brush some face powder along your eyes to help your eye makeup last longer. You can start to apply your eye makeup now – sticking with basic shades will always be the safest option. We love Aveda Petal Essence Eye Color Trio in Gobi Sands for a warmer and sandy neutral look. Be sure to check out some of our other eye tutorials on the blog if you need help with this step! Next, apply eye liner and mascara.
5) Light Up Your Lips: A pop of color on your lips will light up your entire face immediately. The first step is to outline your lips with a lip liner. Select a neutral shade or a shade that is similar to whatever lip color you’re going to apply. Next, fill in your lips with the lip liner to help keep your lipstick from fading during the day. Begin applying lipstick carefully. Tip: if you usually smudge your lipstick while applying, use an angled eyeliner brush – this will give you more precise lines than a lip brush.